I am an assistant professor at the Data Science group at University of Twente.
I have been excited about all flavours of machine learning for a long time. In particular, I am passionate about bridging the gap between algorithmics and the human. I strongly believe that algorithms should be designed in a way that tightly integrates the user and her mental models of her material world, and the (immaterial) data collected to describe it; Artificial intelligences should be able to explain their reasoning and basis of decision making to end users — in a way that relates to their physical reality and that they can understand. In consequence, my research is characterised by interdisciplinarity and a broad range of application areas. My core research interests are explainable machine learning, and data mining, as well as intersections with human-computer interaction, information visualization, and information retrieval; detours include natural language processing and technology enhanced learning. My publication list gives an impression of how my research interests evolved. Today, it includes 97 peer-reviewed papers, 11 journal articles and 5 book chapters that mark different stages of my scientific (and personal) development.
I hold a Ph.D. from the Technical University Graz, Austria (Thesis Topic: Visually Supported Supervised Machine Learning) and a diploma (equiv. M.Sc.) in computer science from the Technical University Chemnitz, Germany.
- Assistant Professor, Data Science group, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
- 10/2017 - 02/2018
- Full Professor of Complex and Intelligent Systems Engineering (Interim, Vertretungsprofessur), University of Passau, Germany
- 04 - 09/2016
- Guest Professor, Technical University Dresden, Germany
- 2012 - 2017
- Assistant Professor, Chair of Data Science (formerly Media Computer Science), University of Passau, Germany. EU FP7 EEXCESS, EU FP7 CODE.
- Ph.D. (Dr. techn.), Institute for Knowledge Management, Technical University Graz, Austria
- 2007 - 2012
- Research Associate, Technical University Graz, and Know-Center GesmbH, Graz, Austria. FIT-IT Projekt DYONIPOS, EU FP7 Project Aposdle.
- 2004 - 2007
- Research and Project Assistant, Joanneum Research GesmbH, Graz, Austria. EU FP6 MACS, EU FP6 MOBVIS.
- Dipl.-Inf. (M.Sc. equivalent), Chair for Artificial Intelligence, Technical University Chemnitz,Germany
Invited Talks & Panels
- 2019 | Explainable Machine Learning in Applications Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence Washington D.C., U.S.
- 2019 | Panel Discussion Research Vision/Blue Sky Track, IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2019) Dallas, Texas, U.S.
- 2018 | What to do with all the data? Using machine learning methods to predict risks from data, Risk and Resilience Festival University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
- 2017 | Introduction to Information Retrieval (Lecture), Winter School on Human Computer Interaction in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Challenges in Interacting with Social Media and Complex Information, Hirschegg, Austria
- 2015 | Visualization Techniques (Keynote), Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Conference (AINL-FRUCT), Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 2015 | Visualization (Panel Discussion), Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Conference (AINL-FRUCT), Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 2015 | Personalised Interactive Access to Digital Library Content, International Science 2.0 Conference, Hamburg, Germany
- 2013 | Web based user profiles, 11th workshop of the German-French MDPS Doctoral College, INSA, Lyon, France